Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Quick movie review

An impromptu evening at the movies with a friend (Patti McCabe-Price) allowed me to see a revealing movie that took place in China (circa 1930's) about a man named George Hogg. He was a journalist who helped 60+ boy orphans (My, how times have changed!) cross mountains and desert to escape the horrors of war and civil unrest caused by the Chinese leaders- Mao Tse Tung and Chiang Kai-Shek- and the Japanese. The title of the movie is "Children of Huang Shi". It's only playing in our town for one week, so I was glad that I had the time to see it.
It's historical, based on true events, and the journey takes you through Lanzhou, Gansu Province. This is the city where we will be meeting Iris for the first time in September. I sure paid attention to that part. Although it's "hollywood," I think the different scenery in the film convinces me that this will be an adventure of our lifetime. Please pray that all is well in Gansu and that Iris is well-cared for.

No comments: