Thank God for Vacation Bible School (VBS) both at her preschool and at my church! Iris had a great time, and especially liked the puppet shows. The program for preschoolers was fun as evidenced by Iris wanting to go back each day. As for me, I survived registration check-in day with the help of 5 ladies, and was a third adult leader in one of the classes. Other than these programs, I had excellent and loving friends (Essy, Rosemary, my parents) to help me with Iris, so that I could meet my other obligations. I admired all the teamwork that went in to make VBS week a rich and fun-filled experience for 300 children!
With friends and family around, God afforded me time to prepare for teaching one Sunday school class on the apostle Paul's first missionary journey. I have renewed respect for all pastors, reverends, some priests who delve deeply into scripture to distill a clear message based on the Bible each week. It's hard to keep the message short and sweet! Then again, it's not about me, but about our Lord and Savior.
As we celebrated the July 4th weekend with family, I thought about how wonderful it is for Iris to have tall teenage cousins who are kind and who truly enjoy being with her...for finite periods, of course. I also appreciate their parents (my and B's siblings) who have raised fine young adults. I continue to pray that God will guide us to lead Iris in the way of truth and His light.
With summer comes opportunities for toddler classes-dance, music, swimming, etc. So far, Iris has enjoyed a music class with children and their parents locally. It's great because a CD of the songs is included, so that we can listen (and practice) at home. At this point, she likes that more than being in the class setting. A drop-in dance class was a bit much for her to follow, so it's on the shelf until further notice. Swimming is informal and occasional as I try to decide an exercise gym that fits our family's schedule without costing too much. Once again, I am humbled by those parents that have provided a variety of learning activities while still finding time to exercise. I want to be a healthy role model for Iris.

Most of all, I am learning humility when I think of how often Iris does not comply or respond readily to requests to get moving. For example, I call her to come to get dressed and pick her clothes, but she loves to make it a game by running away. If I hold her to get her to listen and do as she's told, she resists, but more in a playful way-i.e. fake cries or giggling. And what does this have to do with being humble? I think of how many times or ways I might be ignoring or wriggling out of God's will because I'd rather do something else. Call it distractions or selfishness, I'm reminded how easy it is to disobey our heavenly Father.
What I'm most thankful for daily is how God is the best, perfect and most loving parent of all! I must thank Him for his mercy every day, especially when I say harsh things to or I'm feeling less than loving toward my family. In one of Paul's epistle, he writes to be joyful in all things, giving thanks to God. That is the best way to readjust my attitude away from anger, frustration and prideful indignation. The fruit of our labor comes when Iris says things like, "I miss you mommy/dada." or smiles and giggles because she is happy playing with us. She continues to amaze me with her understanding of language (Chinese and English), her memory, and her wanting to put things in an orderly fashion. Hmmmmm could she have learned that from us?
Current challenges: Iris giving up naptime and having occasional accidents (of the wet kind!)
We will find out how Iris really is changing when we go on a long weekend vacation in Lake Tahoe. See August 2010 post for reference point on sleeping.
No comments:
Post a Comment