
August arrived with both exciting and sad news. In early August, one man on the men's backpacking trip from my church disappeared. After 6 days of searching without a trace, the grieving family called off the search.

Life is a gift, isn't it? Iris enjoyed two different times at this year's county fair. One date was this Dad for the demolition derby. She really liked it! Another afternoon was with Mom (me) for more games, rides and treats. She really wanted to do face-painting, but I negotiated with her, so that she drew a picture on her face the next day. She is starting to like Hello Kitty after all.

On August 10, a friend and fellow sister in Christ (Audrey) and I gave a presentation at church about how our teaching career has intersected with our Christian faith journey. We titled it Teaching ESL: A Scrapbook of Journeys. It took several meetings and great reflection and introspection about how God could use our testimonies in this forum. I was thankful for the time, but was even more thankful after we were done. I videotaped it just for myself, but don't have a good way to digitize it to share with other interested people, including my family.
Suddenly, the first day of the new school year arrived. Whoa! A first grader and a high school senior in our home, as I start teaching ESL again. That means navigating different school schedules. The night before my first ESL class, I stayed up very late, but prayed a lot that God will carry me through. I knew I would be sleepy/tired because I had much to prepare for our girls, Iris and Chloé. God knew what I needed when he orchestrated a chance meeting with a neighbor whose boy Iris enjoys playing with. They had not played for a long time, so Iris got a chance to go over, Chloé prepared for school auditions, while I went out to make copies for class that evening. It was all God's grace and mercy on me that I was able to function that evening. This was despite me making the mistake of noting the wrong room number (and time) on my syllabus. The students were patient, too. It's just one way that God continues to remind that He is totally in charge. I must accept my flawed skills at planning and simply rely on Him.
 |
| Our first grader |
Likewise, my church is going through changes in worship times,
leadership and demographics. I continue to pray that all the members
focus on the majors (God's Word, Jesus' commandments) and not the
minors. God is faithful, true, and loving. One of my greatest joys is
to read daily devotionals with Iris about who Jesus is. Let the name of
the Lord be praised now and forevermore! Amen!

Finally,
Iris lost two more baby teeth in one week. Now, it's really hard to
bite down on anything hard. Thank God that she is growing one top
permanent teeth now. I'm praying that she has a beautiful smile and
won't need braces. So long, summer. Thanks for the good times!
 |
| Rainbow loom is still an obsession! |
 |
| We started crocheting. Here's Iris' new blanket. |
 |
| School friends met at the museum for some last summer playdate |
No comments:
Post a Comment