Ten years ago, Brian and I were preparing for our exciting journey to China and into parenthood. A lot of excite and buzzing around to get things ready. Now, it's all about getting ready for school.
 |
| Friends: Kaylin, Juliet, Gemma, & Katie |
 |
| Iris with Sushi, our dog |
 |
| With Clara B. and Maddie. |
 |
with Dana and Olivia L, |
Iris is now 10 (almost 11) and has switched schools to begin 5th grade. Her focus on reading, getting good at ice skating and paying attention to animals are wonderful to watch. God has made her with these passions. Her appreciation for arts and crafts make me wonder if her birth parents were handicrafts or skilled craftsmen. Her winsome side shows in her wanting to research pranks and banter with her dad about "your army is so _____!" She enjoys playing online games that challenges the user to achieve higher levels. She doesn't enjoy playing the piano, but her new school has a band program, so there may be a different instrument in her future. Her recharging activity above all else is reading. She reads at home, in the car, waiting for me while I'm in meetings at church, and she reads FAST! Last summer, I bought her a new book from the "Land of Stories" series. We went to help with an event for kids in a local park, and she read that book in the two hours that we were there!

 |
| at Exploratorium |
In ten years, Brian and I have become partners in problem-solving in terms of parenting decisions. How many toys does she need? How much time do we allow her to play video games on the tablet? Is she old enough to have a sleepover? How can we encourage her to eat more vegetables and fewer sweets? A continuing prayer is regarding her friendships. She is a quiet, independent and a bit timid person in almost all group situations. There are no BFFs that I can observe, but she likes being with school friends and ice skating girls. I'm praying for friends that will validate her own walk with Jesus Christ as Lord Although not a teenager yet, some favorite replies to my questions are "I don't know" and "I will (do that!)" As a baby, it was fun and natural to hold her and soothe her. Nowadays, I have to implore her to give me a real hug or at least shake hands with her father.
All in all, Iris is turning out to be an intelligent, fun-loving, capable and good-natured girl. We love her and work to keep up with the changes in her thinking, behavior, and interests. Personally, I pray that she desires to pray often, smile more, and love others with the love of Jesus.

I am reminded of a couple of verses:
Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. ~Proverbs 22:6
Fathers [and mothers], do not exasperate your children; instead bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. ~Ephesians 6:4
No comments:
Post a Comment