For a year or so, I have wanted to write about the precious moments when Iris's outbursts, funny observations or discoveries painfully remind me of how I am sometimes like a child with my heavenly Father. Here are some samples:
God's reminder: From Proverbs chapter 3:5, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight."
OR from Proverbs 4:10-11, "Listen, my child, accept what I say, and the years of your life will be many. I instruct you in the way of wisdom and lead you along straight paths"
"Go away." Iris says this when she wants to hide something from me, or that she knows that she needs to do something I'm asking, but that she is choosing not to do right at that moment. For example, brushing her teeth is sometimes a battle. She can do it by herself, but I often finish the chore because she misses her back teeth. Really what she would rather do is play with something in the bathroom, such as her hair and hair clips, instead of doing other personal grooming.
God's reminder: Psalm says wherever you go, I [God] will be there.
"I want you to come here." or "I want you to be with me." as cries for companionship and need for help. I am often absorbed in some chore or work that I'd rather not interrupt. I find myself answering with phrases like, "Come here" or "I can't right now." I guess I assume that she really doesn't need my help to do something that she does very well on her own, nor is she in trouble. The message to her may be that her need isn't important enough. Zing! Instead of bothered by the intrusion, I need to be gracious in the realization and joy that I'm needed. Thank God that He knows how much we need Him, and he promises to be near.
God's reminder: "Come near to God and he will come near to you." from James 4:8
"I'm hungry" has become a demand for food. I remember saying that often to my mom as she cooked in the kitchen each evening. As I think of true hunger in the community and around the world, I cringe when I hear from someone that he or she is starving. I've tried unsuccessfully to fast more than one day, but the experience points to the stronghold that food plays in my life. So like Iris in complaint of her craving for food, I must remember that I spend way too much energy and thought on what food I will eat, and that I might not get enough.
God's reminder: From Matthew chapter 6:25, “Therefore I tell you, do not worry
about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what
you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than
clothes?"
and 6:33 "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."
No comments:
Post a Comment