November was fast and furious with birthday parties (Iris's friends, as well as hers), Thanksgiving, topped off with Advent beginning on December 1st.
 |
| Howdy, partner! |
It is a full social calendar with birthday celebrations. One was a double birthday with pony rides, a bouncy house, a pinata, and delicious cupcakes. Iris's Kinder Academy teachers, the Bertrands, were there as well. It was a reunion of sorts. It definitely gives me (Cindy) a chance to get to know parents of this year's class better. It's interesting how the communication with teachers (French and English), other parents, and with the principal happens with a swirl of emails or letters sent home. The pace of change seems fast for me. However, that is the nature of a newer charter school. Through it all, I'm seeing the great need for prayer for families affected by divorce. I pray to God on how I can help bring healing to these broken families. Playdates with children is one way.
 |
| Friends, Josephine and Katie |
 |
| Gingerbread house from Monique's party |
I continue to question how much or how little we expose Iris to a variety of experiences that challenge both mind, body and spirit. She has an incredible memory and learns well by watching.
 |
| 2nd Annual Science festival: "Ooh! a tornado!" |
 |
| Hello, Clo! (Note: saw Chinese Acrobats) |
 |
| Extracting DNA from strawberries. What's DNA?? |
 |
| You're climbing on DNA! |
Her imagination is still very much focused on the world of fairies-fairy books, fairy houses, being a fairy. It's sweet, but I wonder how far to let her think it's real. She turned six years old, and had several friends at her party to make fairy houses out of wood.
 |
| Meeting Logan |
We thoroughly enjoyed being with Brian's family for the Thanksgiving break. (Hey, we didn't have to cook for several days!) Iris most enjoyed playing and walking the grandparents' dog, Frango.
 |
| Girl cousins reunion |
 |
| "Can I help with washing dishes?" |
 |
| Marissa is a whiz at creating icicles for the gingerbread house! |

After a loooooong drive home, Iris and I ushered in the Advent season by decorating and Advent wreath, as well as lighting the first Advent candle. This is a time that I'd like to direct Iris away from "give me, give me" or "buy, buy, buy" and repeat the message that
Christ is born, Christ is coming, and Advent is about waiting. The big day is really a birthday for
our Savior, Lord Jesus. It is for that reason I want to rejoice in His birth, and not celebrate the jolly male icon in a red suit. (We do mention Santa Claus at home.) Christmas specials and movies are fun, but where are images of the Christ child born to save us all from our sins?
Emmanuel-God with us. Here's a song that Iris likes to sing, that is appropriate for now and always. To enjoy the song and its message,
click here "He is With Us".
No comments:
Post a Comment