Sunday, January 31, 2016

Starting off the year with a freeze!


Birthdays, holidays, and an eight-year-old with an attitude on our hands have filled the past few months.  Now, it's January.  The start of a new year.  And what made this month memorable?  A trip to Taiwan with just Iris and me!

Below are photos of some highlights of our trip.  
Hua-Kuan and Ekki's visit
Seeing Aunt Sache
Ivy and Charles daughter, Gabrielle


Learning to eat "Buddha hair" fruit 


Rare reunion of Ah-Ma's siblings, and some of my cousins.

Photo opps!




Clear view from 89th floor of Taipei 101

But what happened was the coldest freeze snap in the 50-years of Taipei weather history.  And it happened during the one weekend we were there.  

The idea was to meet up with Ah-Ma and Ah-Gong, and Justin who was helping care for Dad at a hotel in Taipei.  The hotel was fine, but a few hiccups made this visit to Taipei a bit disappointing.
1.  Ah-Gong snores soooo loud that Justin had to switch to Iris's and my room.  We were still a bit too noisy for him.

2. Ah-ma got sick; Justin got a fever; I caught the cold, and after five days, Iris had a bad cough with fever.
3.  I bought the cutest red hat, and I bought one for my mom.  But when I visited Taipei 101, it disappeared.  I thought it had fallen in the elevator because I didn't see it in the van that we had rented.  I tried to buy another one for myself, the place had sold out of that color.  After returning home, Just got a communication from the hotel that the van driver found my hat-three days after we had used it.  So sad!
4.  Iris didn't really want to walk around outside, even before she was ill.  
5.  Iris was also hardly eating any of the food that we bought for dinners.  It may have not been so inviting because we ate at tables that were for morning buffet time; like a cafe that is self-serve everything.  Also, we were a bit limited in what we bought because we wanted hot soup-type dishes.  No sit-down restaurants that were just us.

On the last day of our trip, I came down with another fever and had been in the hotel for nearly 72 hours straight!  I was getting into a dark, sad, "I'm such a failure as a mom" place, that I almost wanted to stay in Taiwan while everyone else flew home.  I lashed out at Justin.  However, in the midst of it, I thought of the words to the hymn, "What a Friend We Have in Jesus".  So, as the song goes, I took it-everything- to the Lord in prayer.  Prayer was so missing.  My prayers with Iris at nighttime.  My focus on God's love and beauty, instead of on my showcasing Taiwan's beauty for Iris.  

After listening to the hymn, and reading the backstory about Joseph Scriven, I believe that God had answered my prayer that I stated prior to going: "May this trip draw my family closer to Jesus"
Here are all the verses with powerful and comforting words that pointed me back to my best friend, Jesus Christ.

  1. What a friend we have in Jesus,
    All our sins and griefs to bear!
    What a privilege to carry
    Everything to God in prayer!
    Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
    Oh, what needless pain we bear,
    All because we do not carry
    Everything to God in prayer!
  2. Have we trials and temptations?
    Is there trouble anywhere?
    We should never be discouraged—
    Take it to the Lord in prayer.
    Can we find a friend so faithful,
    Who will all our sorrows share?
    Jesus knows our every weakness;
    Take it to the Lord in prayer.
  3. Are we weak and heavy-laden,
    Cumbered with a load of care?
    Precious Savior, still our refuge—
    Take it to the Lord in prayer.
    Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
    Take it to the Lord in prayer!
    In His arms He’ll take and shield thee,
    Thou wilt find a solace there.
  4. Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised
    Thou wilt all our burdens bear;
    May we ever, Lord, be bringing
    All to Thee in earnest prayer.
    Soon in glory bright, unclouded,
    There will be no need for prayer—
    Rapture, praise, and endless worship
    Will be our sweet portion there.

No comments: